We’re recommending an upgrade to ESET Smart Security Premium.
Given the recent increase in global cyber-threat, we’re recommending that our clients upgrade their ESET Security to the next level when it’s time to renew their subscription. In many cases, this involves upgrading from ESET NOD32 or ESET Endpoint, and moving to ESET Smart Security Premium.
Although installing the higher level product over the top of the existing product appears to work, we’ve noticed that more often than not, the higher level features aren’t present at the end of the process. Instead, we find that it is better to remove the previous product, restart your computer and then install ESET Smart Security Premium.
How to remove ESET Security software on Windows 10 or Windows 11
- Open Control Panel (Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard, type
control panelin the Open field and click OK.)
- Depending on your “View by” preferences, you will need to select one of the following (whichever is relevant to your available options):
- If your screen is set to “Small icons” or “Large icons” then the option is called “Programs and Features”
- If your screen is set to “Category” then the option is called “Uninstall a program”
- Scroll down through the list of programs and find the software that begins with “ESET”. The one we’re looking for may be called “ESET Endpoint Security”, “ESET Secutrity”, “ESET NOD32” or some variant similar to this.
NOTE: If there is more than one, then please ensure that you DO NOT uninstall the one entitled “ESET MANAGEMENT AGENT”. Removing this, would prevent YCD from pushing updates to your computer.
- Once you’ve removed the software, restart your PC.
How to install ESET Smart Security Premium on Windows 10 or Windows 11
- Download the new program installation from this page:
- Once the file is downloaded, run the program and install the software.
NOTE: Part way through the software installation, ESET will invite you to log in or register an account using your email address. This allows you to take advantage of some other features of the software such as anti-theft tracking and password management. However, it is not critical to the operation of the basic software, and you can click an option to skip this registration if you wish.
- At the end of the installation, your ESET Smart Security Premium will say that that it is unlicensed. You will be asked to provide a licence code which will be in the email you receive from ESET when your upgrade/renewal software is processed.
- You may then be asked to restart your PC to ensure all modules are working correctly.
Additional Features of ESET Smart Security Premium
ESET LiveGuard – Included in ESET Smart Security Premium
This is the key product feature that is the main we’re recommending this product. If ESET is unsure about a file or program then it will upload a copy of it to a secure cloud “SandBox”. ESET will then execute the file to see what it does. If ESET thinks it’s safe, then it will release the file to you and your PC will open it.
ESET Password Manager – Included in ESET Smart Security Premium
Until very recently, we have recommended that users avoided this product because a 2-factor authentication was not availbale to protect it. In our mind, this made it potentially worse than not having it at all. However, this has now changed and 2-factor authentication is available within the product. Password managers are highly recommended, so if you’re not using one yet, then now is a great time to start. Make sure you set up 2-factor authentication though!!
ESET Military-Grade Encryption – Included in ESET Smart Security Premium
Encrypting the data on your hard disk is essential in order to comply with GDPR and other cyber security guidance and accreditations. Simply put, it means that if someone steals your computer then they won’t be able to easily access data on it unless they know a password to log in.
We prefer Windows’ built-in Bitlocker feature. This is free and it’s built into Windows 10 and Windows 11 “Professional” editions. However, if your PC is Windows 10 Home Edition or Windows 11 Home Edition, then this might be an option for you. However, whatever you do – you DO need encryption.